Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Daddy's princess bed...

So...the unpacking still goes on...and on...and on. I have gotten to the point of actually putting things on the walls. Makes it look more homey.

Of course, our bedroom is the last room to get unpacked. First room done is kids room...we always want them to feel comfortable and familiar in their surroundings. :-) Kids room, kitchen, living room, play room...our bedroom if done at all is done last.

Usually I walk into our bedroom of boxes and a sheet on the window just to get discouraged and leave again. (Anything without a home gets tossed into our bedroom). Ga!!!!! :-/ And all pictures we have in frames get set against the wall so I can figure out where I want them. My brain has to "marinate" the placement. Yesterday, however, I walked in and decided I could tackle some of the mess. Down goes the sheet so the light can stream in! Whoo hoo!

I have a favorite theme...ocean! Shells, marine life...all things ocean. The ocean fills my soul (corny but true) and I'm landlocked so it is, has been, and always will be natural for me to gravitate towards ocean objects. Anyway...I was placing these things around the room to figure out where to actually hang them when I came across a large bag with a canopy net in it. Usually, this type of thing would be reserved for kids rooms...we even have one in the play room with a couple chairs and a bookshelf. But the hoop on this one is made of bamboo and it screamed "ocean" to me.

So...my dilemma started. I, being the compassionate wife that I am (stay with me on this one), was trying to keep Steve in mind as I decorated our room. Wouldn't want him to end up in a "too girly" of a room. Lets face it, with 5 daughters and a wife the poor man can't get away from all things hormonal and girl. I do think about that. I would even lean towards his decorating scheme if it wasn't Minnesota Vikings football...purple and yellow. If you know Steve you know exactly what I am talking about. :-) I have tried...I just can't make myself do it.

After much deliberation, moving of bed with broken frame, finding Steve's drill, bringing in ladder and risking life and limb (thank you Chelsea for the help and holding the ladder) I got the net up. I was feeling pretty smug and accomplished...thinking this had the feel somewhat of an island cabana. (A decorator I am not). Isabella had been watching the whole time and as soon as the bed got put back into place with the net around the top she said, "Daddy has a princess bed!" Gasp, horror!!!!!!!! THAT is not what I was going for! Ok...if I didn't accomplish the beach feel lets rethink this.

No, no Bella...it is not daddy's princess bed. This is the bed of a KING!!! There...everyone happy. A king at the beach! :-)

Side note: Steve likes the decorating just fine. If he has an opinion one way or the other he usually lets it be known.

Side note two: I am not sure I like it. We have vaulted ceilings so it seems like it's up too high. I have a plan to remedy this...it involves a shell necklace, moving the broken bed, the ladder, and risking life and limb again.

Side note three: Bella still thinks it's a cool princess bed. :-) Sheesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment