Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The other day my brother-in-law posted about their new puppy. She is cute as can be, but is not potty trained.

Side note: As soon as I showed Bella the pictures she squealed and grabbed her toy cell phone and said, "I need to text Doug that she is sooooooooo adorable and that I will babysit her." :-)

Back to the story. My brother-in-law had mentioned that his cute little bundle had left a rather large gift on the floor and he knew this because he had stepped in it. He talked about how such a darn cute puppy could get away with this...but children on the other hand??? Well, Doug, your blog inspired me to share our experience.

Josie is attempting potty training. She's actually quite good at telling me right after she goes in her diaper. She is also good at sitting on the potty and holding it until 10 seconds after I put her diaper back on.

The other day we did the potty drill...sit on potty, read a book, sing a song, whatever it takes to get her to stay there long enough to actually do something. She hasn't yet. Done anything on the potty. I even tried your trick Eliz...of pouring a little warm water on her to encourage the feeling of pee pee. Alas, she only learned to take any cup of water she can find and pouring it down her front. Or dumping it in the potty, cup and all. Heavy sigh. I digress.

The other day we did the potty drill. She had not done anything, I feared her legs were falling asleep so I took her off and went to get a diaper. I was on my way back to the bathroom when I heard her in the hallway yelling, "POTTY!" I turned the corner and low and behold she was standing in the hallway with (forgive me...I can't find a better way to say this) with a poo clenched between her cheeks. She looked like a rabbit with a brown tail. Honest to goodness.

I bolted down the hall whipping the diaper open to try to catch her not so small gift before it fell. Imagine slow motion softball tournament. I actually put the diaper under her bottom and picked her up at the same time as running down the hall. So her poo could drop into the toilet instead of the floor.

I got her there!!! I set her on the potty and tried to maneuver the diaper so the "item" would plop in there. I heard nothing. (WHAT?????) As my mind tried to assimilate this I heard Bella scream in the hallway, "She pooped on the floor!!" Gasp. I walked defeatedly (think of losing team of softball players) out the bathroom door and there it was in all it's glory. A poo on the carpet. Sheesh.

To quote Doug "but she's so dang cute!" :-)

2 comments:

  1. at least you didn't step in it. and have it squish up between your toes. and stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually lived on a farm. I had that happen with cow poo. Not in the house though. shudder.

    ReplyDelete