Friday, January 13, 2012

Flu shot status

I put them off. I go back and forth about them every year. Here's the breakdown so far:

#1. Steve! He wins. First one done. It was a work thing. They get the vaccine in and go around the clinic giving all employee's the shot. Whoot! Good job Steve. I think I would have found a way to avoid it. :-)

#2 Chelsea (over 18...tried as an adult) flat out refused. No way Jose! She got sick once from the flu shot and has refused AMA since then. Stubborn.

#3. Bella and Josie. 2nd and 3rd done. Bella's having some neck issues so she was at the pediatrician. They asked if the kids had shots yet...uh...no. We scheduled the next available shot clinic a couple weeks later. Bella had lots of time to think about it and had worked herself into a tizzy. She hate, hate, hates shots. As a matter of fact, she threw up the morning we were scheduled. Thank the Lord shot clinics are Saturdays...because Steve could go with us. NICE! So much easier to take kidlets in separately. In the car on the way to Dr's office she was threatening to throw up again. Not, "Hey mom, if you make me go I'll throw up!" It was more like, "MOOOOOM, I have to throw up! AHH!" Steve was driving so I jump in the back seat with the only available catching apparatus...a left over clean pull up from Josie's potty training days. Not like it's going to help too much with leg holes. But you do what you gotta do. Fortunately, she didn't throw up.

We got to the office. As a precaution, I let them know she had no fever, no lack of eating or drinking, no sickies...but that she had thrown up. I thought perhaps it might be stress related. (thumbs up there) They checked her out. She passed because the nurse said, "So, who's first?" Bella ran out to the waiting room...like lightening. So...that meant Josie was first. I got Josie. Steve got Bella. YES!!!!!!! I scored on that one. Josie sat on my lap and looked innocently at the nurse. Got the shot, had some insult, tears, and moved on. I took her to the waiting room and Steve took Bella back to the room.

They didn't get two feet out of the waiting room when the panicked voice started. Kind of a low..."nooooooooooooo". Steve was kind of dragging her a litte by that point. They got into the room and I'm thinking she saw the tray. High pitched panicked whiney voice and crying. "I doooooonnnnnn't waaaaaaant a shot." I'm not sure what actually happened because Josie and I were contentedly sitting in the waiting room playing with the train. I shouldn't have been happy, but I was. I wasn't the one getting my eardrums pierced while keeping her from committing kamakazi murder/suicide this time. Josie did stop once when she heard high pitched screeching and thrashing about. She looked toward the commotion and said, "Is Bella ok?" "Oh yeah baby...ah...she's not happy." (duh)

They came out lickety split. Bella took some time to compose herself and forgive all involved in the insult and promplty asked if we could go get her special "I'm going to be brave getting my shot" treat. Well...slap me silly...what are you gonna do? Don't want to make it worse by denying the "brave" treat. (Oreo McFlurry from McDonald's).

#4. Colleen. You can pay me to have one. I was trying to hold out for the research clinic that would pay you to get the shot. Unfortunately, they closed the study. I was going to wait patiently until it opened up again...next year maybe? Until we were at Steve's work getting Bella's physical therapy (for her neck). When Pieter (her PT) was done Bella asked him if he could give her mom her flu shot. Side swiped...dang it. Pieter looked quite surprised and said he wouldn't know where to put it. (I can think of some places...just saying). She said her daddy knew how to give shots. A couple years ago he brought home all our vaccine's and gave us all flu shots. Made an impression on Bella. I think she did scream and flung the needle across the room. We never did find it. Heebie jeebie dance. Bella was adament I get my shot-by golly. Steve had that "ba ha ha ha, busted" look in his eye and arranged my flu shot. As I put on my brave face and went to get my shot Bella shuddered a little and assured me she would be there when I got done. Sweet girl. Grumble, grumble. I had to get the shot and I didn't get paid. Because it was at Steve's work it was free. So, next best thing I suppose.

#5. Jaz (over 18, tried as adult) refused as well...until she thought she could get paid to do it. :-) Study closed. More refusal. Stubborn.

#6. Kenzi....pending. (Until I can get her to dad's work or he brings one home for her!)

No comments:

Post a Comment