Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Don't dash dreams...throw'em a bone dang it.

I was sitting at the computer today when the backdoor slammed and I heard screaming, "MOOOOOOM, you gotta come see this!!!" "We found a dinosaur bone in the backyard...it's all white with scratches...it's huge...you gotta come see this!" This was all said at a high pitched excited screech. Bella was the one using words. Josie was just running around screaming.

Of course being a curious (note: see previous post) soul, I went out. It was like walking through an excited pack of dogs waving around small pink and yellow shovels. They were running around my legs screaming how exciting it would be if we had real dinosaur bones in our yard.

Little side note: It's possible. We do live in Utah. EXCEPT, I know they built this lot up with a boatload of junk "dirt"...cement, rebar, rock, glass, and not much dirt. Probably no bones.

Do you want to guess what they had dug up? :-)

The sprinkling system. Poor kids. I could totally see how they thought they had a dinosaur bone. I really wanted to let them believe it too. I stood there for a few seconds watching them dig like maniacs trying to find the end of this bone. When it was obvious they were prepared to dig up the whole sprinkling system I told them what they had unearthed.

OH, the disappointment. Precious little archaeological excavators. Bella sat back and just looked at it. Josie noticed the lack of digging mania from Bella and sat back and looked at Bella. She started pushing the dirt back into the large hole they had created. I reminded her of how we put all that pipe into the holes last year. She remembered. She had a disappointed smile on her face and said, "oh yeah." Gol dang.

What did I learn?

1. Don't be a dream dasher.
2. Let the kids dig up the whole darn yard believing we have dinosaur bones.
3. To see the light go out of a child's eyes causes regret.
4. I hate regret.
5. I'm tired of being practical.

If ever I need a digger, I've got two.

Was that a practical thing to say? Dang it.

No comments:

Post a Comment