Monday, August 30, 2010

How many times have I told you?

It has to be said: I am a fairly paranoid parent. Somewhat overprotective.

Today was a busy day. I didn't get a shower until 5 p.m. I put Bella and Josie in front of the tv watching Word World to give myself time for a quick shower. I was not in there more than 3 minutes when Belle came running in saying "Someone is at the door."

Josie has discovered she can open doors...so I had locked and dead bolted the door. The handle lock seems to stop her but I figured I couldn't be too cautious. I would be safe for 5 minutes in the shower.

You know how your heart drops a little and you think things like..."well crap, I left the window open so the person at the door knows we are home because the tv is on." I told Bella that I was in the shower and couldn't come out to answer the door and that she was NOT to open it.

I quickly rinsed the shampoo out of my hair and got out of Dodge. I figured Bella would be standing at the window by the door motioning that she couldn't answer it...so the person would be sort of standing there waiting to see if anyone was home with 2 little kids. As I was getting dressed, in record time, Bella runs in and hands me a flyer. "He was an internet guy, mom." HOLY COW she opened the door. I was stunned. HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I TOLD HER NOT TO ANSWER THE DOOR WITHOUT AN ADULT AROUND? And how the heck did she get the dead bolt open?

I tried to be calm and told her I had asked her NOT to answer the door. My sweet, innocent, little girl said, "He was a good guy mom...it's ok." I am trying to imagine the conversation that had gone on between the two of them. There are so many what if's to this situation I cringe.

Once the door is open Josie usually runs as fast as she can away from the house. I'm so glad she didn't get out. Or that he caught her and put her back in. I'm glad he was one of the "good guys" and that he wasn't standing there when Bella handed me the flyer.

Needless to say Bella got a lecture and we are getting a chain lock for the door...up high. Or those plastic dealie's to put on the door handle. Or a guard to stand watch...or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment